Are you ready for a career that connects your passion with a higher purpose?
The MacPhee Centre for Creative Learning (MCCL) (formerly BridgeCAT) works to re-engage disengaged youth through the design and delivery of vibrant arts programs that use a blend of personal expression, mentoring and social enterprise to assist young people (ages 12-19) who are having difficulty in traditional school settings. We are looking for an Executive Director to lead the organization in achieving a high level of programming, administration and fund development.
Complementing the work of teachers and the academic goals set out by Provincial curricula, our programs are built on four pillars:
- Education – youth must be attending school
- Environment – the MacPhee Centre is a special
place for creative endeavours
- Empowerment – working with mentors
- Entrepreneurship – long-term sustainability based on business modeling
As the Executive Director, you will be responsible for leading the fund development, programming, administration and strategic planning of the organization. Other key duties include liaising directly with schools on a regular basis, completing assessment forms on participants to measure the success of programs, marketing and other community outreach activities. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
We are looking for someone who: has the administrative and business experience to develop programming and manage the organization; has the communication experience and skills to promote the Centre to the broader community; has the networking skills to engage new donors and develop philanthropic partnerships; and understands the importance and value of community building.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Director on all aspects of the organization’s activities
- Foster effective team work between the Board and the Executive Director and between the Executive Director and staff
- In addition to the Chair of the Board, act as a spokesperson for the organization
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when appropriate
- Represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organization’s community profile
Operational planning and management
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its clients, Board and Funders
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate
- Ensure that personnel, client, donor and volunteer files are comprehensive, up to date and securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained
- Provide support to the Board by preparing meeting agenda and supporting materials
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fund raising plans and write funding proposals to increase the funds of the organization
- Participate in fundraising activities as appropriate
Financial Planning and Management
- Work with staff and the Board (Executive Committee) to prepare a comprehensive budget
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditure of the organization
Program planning and management
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to the organization’s mission and reflect the priorities of the Board
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of the programs and services of the organization to maintain or improve quality
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of special projects
- Communicate with stakeholders (including HRSB, NSCC, NSCAD) to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization
Human resources planning and management
- Determine staffing/volunteer requirements for program delivery
- Oversee the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices including the development of job description for all staff
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Recruit, interview and select staff and program managers that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further the organization’s mission
- Ensure that all staff and volunteers receive an orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided
- Coach and mentor staff/volunteers as appropriate to improve performance
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization’s people (clients, staff, management, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage
- A degree in a relevant discipline and 5 plus years of related work experience.
- Sufficient organizational and administrative experience to ensure the organization flourishes.
- Experience as an effective business leader using strategy, communication and collaboration to achieve results.
- A successful track record in designing and executing on strategic business plans.
- Experience in effective program development and delivery.
- Ability to get things done while functioning independently, and frequently under pressure, with multiple priorities.
- Hands on experience in both financial and facility management.
- A deep understanding of pedagogical philosophy and practices as it relates to art.
- Demonstrated ability as a facilitator who will have the strength of character and conviction to work with youth and the community to create a bright future for many.
- Fund Development experience or the ability to provide required support for an active fund development committee.
Salary – This is a contract position with opportunity to extend/renew. Salary is commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
Sound like you?
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity, please forward a two-page letter explaining why you are qualified for this role and, as Executive Director, how you could contribute to the success of the MCCL. Please also attach a resume. Submissions can be emailed to the MacPhee Centre c/o Karn Nichols (Board Chair) at email@example.com